Five ways to create balance, symmetry in your space
Have you ever wondered why some spaces feel bad, while others have a sense of harmony? One of the main reasons may be related to the principles of balance and symmetry in space.
Symmetry allows for a harmonious feeling through the use of identical elements, while balance can be created through dissimilar elements which blend well.
Are you looking for ways to create a sense of balance and symmetry? Here are some great tips.
1. Use oversized or large scale elements to help ground a room.
2. Select a focal point in a room to use as an opportunity to create a sense of balance and symmetry.
3. Use identical selections such as artwork and showcase items to help create harmony.
4. Create a sense of balance with items that can be different heights and weights, but mix well.
5. Beyond using balance and symmetry in larger spaces, use balance and symmetry in small ways such as using vignettes.
New York-based Cathy Hobbs is an Emmy Award-winning television host and nationally recognized interior design and home staging expert with offices in New York City, Boston and Washington, DC Contact her at info @ cathyhobbs.com or visit the website at cathyhobbs.com.